How long is the graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology?

The normal SLP graduate program at UNI is two years, including one summer. The final semester of the second year is spent in school and/or hospital internship sites.


Is the Graduate Records Exam (GRE) required for admission to the graduate program?

If so, does the department have a minimum score requirement? The GRE is a required aspect of the department's admission process. There is no stated minimum GRE score requirement; however, the department's graduate admissions committee ranks all applicants based on all the application information provided by prospective students. This information includes the GRE, GPA, letters of recommendation, clinical experience, and letter of application. Admission to our department's graduate program is a competitive process.


What is the Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) curriculum at UNI?

The SLP curriculum includes a balance of required courses in the pathologies, technological advances, scientific exploration of communicative disorders, and a wide variety of clinical experiences. In addition, students select electives to further develop areas of professional interest.


What are the prerequisites to the graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology?

Students entering the graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology following completion of a bachelor's degree in communication disorders will meet with their academic advisor to conduct an undergraduate transcript review. The purpose of this review is to determine if you are missing any prerequisite courses based on our graduate curriculum. If there is a need to complete a course to satisfy a prerequisite, the student can typically take the course(s) as electives in their graduate program without delaying completion of their graduate degree.


Is it possible to be admitted to the graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology with a bachelor's degree in a major other than communication disorders?

The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders has no means of permitting students to be accepted into the graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology without an undergraduate degree or equivalent in the area of communication disorders. Students without a bachelor's degree in communication disorders or its equivalent would have to complete prerequisite courses prior to applying for admission into the graduate program. It is necessary to meet with an academic advisor in the department to review your undergraduate transcript to determine the extent of prerequisite courses that would need to be completed in your specific case.


What clinical opportunities are available as part of the graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology?

The Roy Eblen Speech and Hearing Clinic is located in the department and has a large clientele representing a wide range of clinical deficits. The age range of this clinical population is throughout the life span. In addition, students receive clinical practice opportunities in a variety of clinical settings off-campus including the local schools and hospitals. Students also receive extensive clinical experience during their last semester when they complete their internship. Most students divide this experience into school, hospital, or other clinical setting. This internship experience may be located throughout the world based on the student's interest and available facilities willing to provide the experience.


Is the coursework needed to obtain the endorsement to work in the schools included in the SLP graduate program?  What do I do if I plan to work in another state?

The University of Northern Iowa and the Iowa State Department of Education require a minimum number of education courses, including an introductory course in Exceptional Persons, and courses in the areas of educational psychology, child development, and curricula. Your graduate advisor will review the course options with you to determine whether you may already have completed some or all of these courses. If you have had few or none of these courses previously, you have two options. You could take a heavier course load during your graduate program and/or spend an additional summer/semester on campus to fulfill the requirements for your educational endorsement. The Iowa Department of Education also offers a Statement of Professional Recognition for speech-language pathologists who have their Iowa Department of Public Health licensure but did not complete an educational endorsement (For more information: https://www.boee.iowa.gov/licauthorization/statement-professional-recogn...). Students planning to practice in a medical or school setting in another state should review licensing and teaching certification requirements for those states. Preliminary information can be found at http://asha.org/advocacy/state/


Is there a cutoff GPA for acceptance into the graduate SLP program?

While the department requires a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale), you should be aware that the graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology is highly competitive. The cumulative GPAs of the admitted students into our graduate program over the past several years have been, with few exceptions, greater than a 3.4.


What is the size of the average class in the SLP graduate program?

The size of the required departmental courses ranges from about 15 to 55 students. Graduate seminars in the program frequently have less than 15 students enrolled.


How can I learn more about the Speech-Language Pathology program at UNI?

We encourage potential applicants/students to contact and/or visit our department, clinic, and campus. For more information regarding our department or its programs contact:

Graduate Academic Advisor
Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders
230 Communication Arts Center
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0356

Phone: (319) 273-2496

Email: Deborah.Burroughs@uni.edu