down arrowMenu



Students who are interested in admission to the graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology at the University of Northern Iowa may apply for Fall (August), or Spring (January) Semester entry. Admission deadlines are January 20 for Fall admission and September 15 for Spring Semester admission. Prospective students must have a bachelor's degree in Communicative Sciences & Disorders from an accredited college or university and a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). Students must submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended for completion of their baccalaureate degree. Original transcripts must be sent directly from the undergraduate institution(s); transcripts sent by applicants in any other form cannot be accepted. Students complete one Application for Admission to Graduate Study at UNI through the Graduate College for admission to speech-language pathology. The Graduate College admission form is available online (Online Graduate College Application). Applying for admission to the Graduate College is the first step in applying for admission into the graduate program in speech-language pathology. The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders also requires that prospective students submit their Graduate Record Examination (GRE) results, complete our Clinical Training and Experience form, have three (3) Recommendation Forms sent and submit a Letter of Application (personal statement/essay) prior to the application deadline. Further instructions are available in the following documents:

Instructions for Fall 2018 Applicants:

Checklist (instructions for your use)

Online Graduate College Application

Personal Reference Form with letters of recommendation (3)

Clinical Training and Experience Form

Graduate Assistantship Application (Optional)

Tuition Scholarship Application (Optional)

Letter of Application (Personal Statement/essay) - A letter of intent stating your desire to enter our graduate level program, career goals, and the attributes you possess that will make you successful in life and our program.

Official transcripts and GRE scores need to be sent to the UNI Admissions Office (002 Gilchrist Hall, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018).  If you are currently a UNI undergraduate student you do NOT need to request official UNI transcripts.


International students:

Please contact Linda Jernigan ( or 319-273-5925) for more information on applying to UNI.

Checklist (instructions for your use)

Personal Reference Form

Clinical Training and Experience Form

Graduate Assistantship Application (Optional)

Tuition Scholarship Application (Optional)

Official transcripts, GRE & TOEFL scores need to be sent to the UNI Admissions (002 Gilchrist Hall, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018)


If you have any questions, please contact:

Debbie Burroughs

Office Coordinator

Department of Communications & Disorders

230 Communication Arts Center

Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0356

Phone: 319-273-2496

Fax: 319-273-6384